How engravings and paintings are framed.
Framing the Engraving
- The Mat and Engraving are inserted
into a Frame with glass or Plexiglas (the clear glass can't be seen
in this picture) to cover and protect the engraving.
- Usually glass is not used when framing a painting, and sometimes a linen
liner is added.
- The surface of the engraving doesn't touch the glass, since the
mat is about 1/16 of an inch thick.
- Mats and Frames come in many colors, styles and sizes.
An acid-free mat is preferred so it won't damage the engraving.
- Here is a picture of some of the frames available at R. Michelson Galleries.
the picture for a larger view.